Photo credit: CSG Backpacks
Fall hiking season is upon us, and for those of you who are pet lovers, you may be considering bringing your dog along for the trip. However, before you embark on your long (or short) hike, it’s important to make sure you and your pup are fully prepared. This list covers all of the essentials that you will need along the way.
- Water - Make sure you pack enough water for your dog and yourself to keep up your energy and prevent dehydration.
- Food - Our pets need their fuel, just like us! It is a good idea to bring a collapsible bowl to put food and water in for quick stops along the way.
- Leash - Keeping your dog on a leash is a rule on most trails, but it’s also a good habit to always have a leash with you to for safety reasons.
- Waste bags - When you are enjoying nature, it is crucial to “leave no trace.” Out of respect for the trail and other hikers, make sure to pick up after your pet!
- Paw Protection - While hiking with your pup, dog’s feet may get cracked and sore from the rough terrain. Our Bag Balm Pet Tubes are the perfect solution to soothe your pet’s paws while out on the trail. The travel-friendly tubes make it easy to stick in a backpack and take out whenever needed.
- Collar - Your dog should always be wearing a collar with owner contact information, especially when hiking.
If you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors with your pet, you may want to invest in a dog pack that your dog can wear. Free up space in your backpack and give your dog a taste of a real backpacking adventure. Once you’ve packed your bag, pick a dog-friendly trail, and you’re ready to go off on an adventure with your pup!